Premier Hockey Report – Week 11


With last week’s matches washed out, some important catch up games were played midweek.
Storage King University secured top spot in the semi finals after securing wins against Fraser Tech 4-2 and Te Awamutu 7-0 to earn a semi against 4th placed Suburbs whilst Te Awamutu missed the semi’s but defeated PR Carter Contracting University for 5th/6th with a 3-0 win. In Men’s catch up games CBD University were upset by bottom placed Te Awamutu 3-2 and Porter Group Fraser Tech cruised to a 4-1 win over an under-strength Suburbs side. The students’ loss saw them drop to 4th on the table and they now faced the daunting task of defeating competition front-runners Aber Hamilton Old Boys.


In the first Semi Final Old Boys and CBD University traded first half strikes with Richard Petherick drilling in a field goal for Old Boys and Brooke Daly countering for University. The game was played at a frenetic pace and semi final tension could be felt around the ground. Old Boys gained the upper hand with Petherick converting a drag flicked PC but a superb piece of deception by David Hannah saw him level the scores and send the game into a penalty shoot out. Old Boys goalkeeper Andrew Lock kept the students scoreless in the first three attempts whilst Matt Rees-Gibbs, Brendan Harland, and Sam Brennan all found the net to give Old Boys a 3-1 shootout win and a place in next weeks final.The second semi saw a confident Porter Group Fraser Tech again take on Suburbs but this time at full strength. Suburbs came out firing and any thoughts of another easy victory for Tech were quickly extinguished and it was Suburbs Aaron McNabb that broke the deadlock to give Suburbs a half time lead. Tech upped the tempo and placed immense pressure on Suburbs midfield and defensive structure. Tech gained parity when Alec Wilson drilled in from a broken down PC. Tech threw everything they could in search of the win but Dean Armstrong was outstanding in goal thwarting Tech on several occasions. Lachie Musgrave and Russell Beale also shone for Suburbs ensuring the game went to the second shoot out of the day. With the Armstrong brothers Dean and Craig taking centre stage in goal for Suburbs and Tech respectively,it was Dean that prevailed in the shootout pulling off four saves out of five to win the shoot out 2-1 for Suburbs and a meeting with Old Boy’s in next weeks final.

The Women’s semi’s had less drama with Fraser Tech taking on Hamilton Old Girls in the first match. Tech got off to a flying start with Monic Bothma converting in the opening minute but Old Girls levelled before the break with a Kate Barker goal. Tech should have regained the lead but a wayward penalty stroke found the post to keep the match in the balance. As the match reached the last quarter Jeanna Richardson broke the deadlock for Old Girls and then Toni Vickers sealed the 3-1 win. Anita Hope was again outstanding in goal for old Girls and continually thwarted Tech scoring opportunities. Top seeded Storage King University raced out to a 3 goal lead within the first quarter as Jess Turner, Megan Hull, and Brodi Muschamp all converting field goals. Suburbs showed some grit in holding out the students for the remainder of the half and created a few opportunities of their own. The students kept up the pressure on Suburbs after the break and a brace to Chloe Stephens and a goal to Libby Clements rounded off a comfortable 6-0 win.